I am full of deceit

You probably won't find what you're looking for

04 May 2005

Oooh Taboos!

I was going to come on here and bitch about things, but it doesn't seem as justified as it did when I was angrier. I saw The Interpreter with Cat last night and it was good. I think she liked it more than I did (I didn't cry), but it was still good. I would say that it is good like The Siege is good, but different because it deals with Africans instead of Arabs (and many other reasons that don't sound so ignorant). I always like when a movie brings our attention to third world conditions without being overbearing (Hotel Rwanda doesn't count because that actually happened). Remember when I suggested an end to the life of Robert Mugabe? That was in my old diary. That was also very wrong, even if he is a monster. He still needs love and forgiveness, same as me. Same as me.

But seriously, what the heck is wrong with some of these world leaders? Do they know that they're destroying their people, or is it a blind ignorance that keeps them out of the loop? George H. W. Bush didn't know about the bar code scanner at grocery stores until 1992 or something. Because he never had to go buy groceries after being VP and then P, and maybe even before that. Maybe it's possible that human rights violaters don't know about it because they don't have to go themselves and violate human rights. Well, at least that's what they seem to argue, like Slobodan Milosevich.

As far as writing letters to stop something like the genocide in Darfur, Sudan, who do you write to? We have:

Senate Foreign Relations Committee
House Committee on International Relations
President Bush
Condoleezza Rice- Secretary of State

After that, the options seem to be:
The Sudanese Government (unlikely, as they are currently allowing it to happen.)
The African Union (Just as unlikely. A) Why listen to us? and B) they haven't done much yet, why start.)

So we have six groups to write letters to. One whose complicity is not even questionable, and five who seem to be implicitly allowing it to happen. Is that a terrible accusation? I only mean that if we're willing to invade Iraq for not having WMDs, why can't we invade Sudan for actually murdering tens of thousands of displaced persons?

I didn't want this to get political. I'm sorry. After such a nice start too.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:27 PM, May 05, 2005, Blogger Megan said…

    Hi Chris, just so you know that thing about George H.W. Bush is actually an urban legend. I think that in the near future we will always see the rich and powerful leading countries because they have the means and the experience to do so. I would love to see one of the major parties throw their support behind someone who didn't come from "old money" and had actual standards instead of just the "party message." I pray for change and I am looking for ways to help change the way we finance elections, but the politicians seem happy with the status quo and they're the ones with the power to change things.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home