I am full of deceit

You probably won't find what you're looking for

14 January 2006

The City of Wild Onions

My dad and I have been watching Band of Brothers. Wow. If you haven't seen it, you really should. It's like watching an extra 10 hours of Saving Private Ryan. Emotionally riveting and a terrifying glimpse at the horrors facing men younger than I.
So I guess I gave in and took the Pocky quiz. How fun. And Katie- "More or less 'normal.'" is a polite way of saying "less normal," and funky is never a compliment when it comes to food.

Pock(re)marks aside, Tomorrow I am leaving this land for the city of Chicago. Are you surprised? I am too. I held off on telling you because... I didn't know how. And I don't know how soon I will be able to update again. My thought is pretty soon, because I will be so lonely and frightened that I will seek out the nearest "hot" spot so I can be the least bit closer to you. The good news is I will return to Ohio to spend my Birthday with my family and... friends?

But fear not, Monday is Ikea Day, a day of waking in a new place and smelling new smells, and using a new shower, and wondering how it will all turn out.

Dear friends,
I am excited for the day when we can support each other's achievements, and give each other much needed advice on our specializations, and work together on social or business ventures. My vision of the future shows the successful confederation of all our dreams into something that is tangible and delightful, and actively bringing betterment to ourselves and others around the world. I want to see you succeed. I want to succeed also. But we have been stuck in the mud at the bottom of the hill, trying to make dreams come from crappy jobs and slow transitions, and endless schooling, and dead ends of uncertainty.

I think this move is my coming out of the slough of the journey, and I am imagining the crest of a hill up ahead. Pray that I don't give up the fight. That we continue the race. Because we all know that we have not yet taken hold of it. But soon. I promise, so soon. Give me courage.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:41 AM, January 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    is it really the city of wild onions? what does that mean? i've never heard that before.

     
  • At 9:43 AM, January 15, 2006, Blogger Class of 2000 officers said…

    i like that you called it Ikea Day.

    Probably thinking you meant something other than you did.

    Ikea Day for me was terrifying and fun. I had Mae with me. Maybe you should look into bringing her along.

     
  • At 3:20 PM, January 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't know why it feels melancholy for you to move to Chicago. It's really a great opportunity. I'm excited to see what you do, Chris.

     
  • At 10:10 PM, January 16, 2006, Blogger Monsterbeard said…

    Thanks for your encouragement, Bob.

    Michele- The name Chicago comes from the Potawatomi Indian word "Checagou" which means wild onion, or skunk, because the marshlands that once covered the area were full of wild leeks. How about that.

    Ikea got pushed back to another day. But I meant a day where I would go to Ikea.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home