I am full of deceit

You probably won't find what you're looking for

03 January 2006

This Year is Getting Different

Hello in the 2006. Does that sound more futuristic than "happy new year"? Guess what, I am writing this in bed while watching Serenity on DVD. Quite a delight. I was going to actually go to sleep but I couldn't because I started thinking about updating and now here I am.

As of the end of the year, I didn't reach the goal of reading three more books like I said I would. However, I did complete Wild at Heart by John Eldredge, and I am about 200 pages into Bury My Heart. So, I got halfway there? I don't know. I still can't believe that Steve doesn't like Chinua Achebe, although I have to admit my only experience with him is an unfinished copy of Things Fall Apart.

I got three books for Christmas. Books that I am excited to start. The Golden Compass, the first in the His Dark Materials trilogy; Let My People Go Surfing, a business memoir by Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard; and The Narnian, which is about C.S. Lewis.

I also got, among other things, Half-Life 2, for the Xbox. Let me tell you: it is more amazing than I thought possible during this generation of video games. The graphics outweigh almost any other xbox game, and the physics outweigh any game I have ever even heard of, anywhere. The storyline is also extremely polished, but something that you have to discover by listening and looking at the game playing out around you.

Having what might be the last gathering of old friends in a long time was nice, but too short. It's hard when everyone is so busy and dedicated to a variety of things. But right now it looks like I might make it to Chicago by the middle of the month, a bit later than I'd like, but necessary given the spotty communication my future roommates and I are having. I think it feels a lot like how the kicker in a football game feels when the other team keeps calling time-out and icing him. Nice analogy.

Most of the links from the last post came from a gaming site called Kotaku, just to give credit.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:13 PM, January 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm sad about everyone leaving. But I'm still here! I know playing Halo isn't as much fun without Catherine. Nor is much else.

    A book every two or three weeks doesn't seem like an unreasonable pace. Are you reading all the books with "Heart" in the title? I didn't know you were reading Wild at Heart. I've read that. We should talk like this in person while I am here.

    I want to really like Half-Life 2, and I do mostly like it. I think a telling aspect of the game is that the terrible load times—which happen every 5 minutes throughout each level—are only annoying, rather than rendering the game unplayable, which is the effect they would have on any lesser game.

     
  • At 7:55 PM, January 03, 2006, Blogger shorttallnotatall said…

    right now i am reading a book about the amish. or is it about doctors? i'm not sure yet.

    iowa is an adventure. yesterday i was in the most remote location i've ever been in my whole life, thus far. it was terrifying and exciting. today i am in cedar rapids, iowa, where they have things like internet. it is terrifying and exciting.

    i miss you guys.

     
  • At 9:28 PM, January 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Chris, your resume lists you as a "Resource Transporter" during your time at Donatos... isn't that a bit much?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home