I am full of deceit

You probably won't find what you're looking for

21 April 2007

My Brightest Diamond Is

I find the new Google/Blogger fusion distracting. While it is nice to know that there is a single entity in charge of the internet, putting speed bumps in my way does not help me. I had an old blogger account, so when I signed in, they prompted me to create a google account and use my existing google email. I did so, I thought I was fine. But then when I tried to sign in and somehow used the wrong username or password or both, I inadvertantly created a new blogger with my alternate email! Oh my stars!

That's boring.

So, even if she didn't realize it, both Talya and I saw The Decemberists, and it was a great show. Their music is... eclectic, as if to write songs they simply pick up a book of world history, open a page, and decide to sing about it. Gypsies, Legionnaires, Crane wives, I mean, just look at their website. It is not your pop-rock. But it is enjoyable and it is worth listening to, which is what we're after, right?

The opening band was called My Brightest Diamond and if you like PJ Harvey, Tori Amos, Over the Rhine, Bjork, then you might want to take a moment and check them out. Use that Google thing everyone talks about. We were trying to figure out where the lead singer was from because her accent was delicious, but we couldn't decide. We both suggested Norwegian.

That interview for my job went really well. It was really nice to sit down and talk to someone (who would be my boss) about what we'd like to do with the training program we have and how to improve it. And on more than one occasion I said the exact thing she was looking for, which feels really nice. The average salary of a Customer Service Trainer is between 40 and 54K for Chicago, according to Salary.com , but i doubt they'd even believe me if I suggested it. I don't know what they're suggesting yet, but I'm willing to bet it's under the 10th percentile. The good news though, is that it's not about the money, it's about a new job, a new boss, and a chance to do something I enjoy. I should have one or two more interviews in the next week or two. I'll let you know.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • At 9:30 AM, April 21, 2007, Blogger Class of 2000 officers said…

    good luck on the new jobby-job. maybe you won't need a life coach after all.

    thank you for the first paragraph here. i have been bitching about this in my inner monologue since i could no longer get by typing "whynotcanada" as my username. now I have to type out my entire google email, which annoys the crap out of me.

    we are old, bitter men.

    i can't remember anything about the decemberists. i like it when steve malkmus sings about turkish pirates, though.

     
  • At 1:01 PM, April 21, 2007, Blogger Seth said…

    You're just saying what we're all thinking. Curse you, Blogger!

     
  • At 3:42 PM, April 25, 2007, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hey, yo.

    I'm very jealous that you got to go to that show.

    In better news, the Decemberists are playing with some sort of orchestra at Grant Park in July. the 18th comes to mind, but that might be wrong. read about it on pitchfork.com.

     
  • At 9:52 PM, April 25, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    delicious?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home