I am full of deceit

You probably won't find what you're looking for

29 October 2005

All the Phonies Gather 'Round

I didn't win the lottery yesterday. I bought a ticket. Big money. But no one else won either. It's the small victories.

Is playing the lottery silly? People call it the idiot tax, but somebody has to win, right? And it's not like I play it every week. Maybe once every few months I play it. It's only a dollar. At least that's what I tell myself.

Last night I read Matthew 16 and 17. Want a taste? "And when they raised their eyes they saw no one but Jesus." (Mt. 17:8). In the New Jerusalem translation, they say prophecy of the passion when Jesus predicts his death. Isn't that funny? And to be honest, if it weren't for the movie ("The Passion of the Christ"), I wouldn't know what passion was referring to. Isn't it crazy how words change so completely? No one uses passion to describe a suffering these days.

It happened in The Catcher in the Rye too. Someone (Sally Hayes) used the word "fantastic" to describe something as unrealistic, not as great. The 1950s sure were a strange time. Which reminds me of George Clooney's new movie, called Good Night, and Good Luck which is about Edward R. Murrow's battle against Joseph McCarthy and his Red Scare. But here's a quote I like from the book:
"Anyway, I'm sort of glad they've got the atomic bomb invented. If there's ever another war, I'm going to sit right the hell on top of it. I'll volunteer for it, I swear to God I will."

Updating every day gives me the chance to waste a lot more time with things that aren't important. Listen, if you're a dork/nerd like me, and you haven't played Escape Velocity: Nova, you should do yourself a favor and check it out.

5 Comments:

  • At 4:26 PM, October 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow.

     
  • At 4:50 PM, October 30, 2005, Blogger Monsterbeard said…

    Bow Wow. I'll say yes to easy money.

     
  • At 1:25 AM, October 31, 2005, Blogger shorttallnotatall said…

    i'll lay down the quadra-wow, and i would like to know what you are a "captain" of. like your own ship? like firefly?! nerd patrol!

     
  • At 1:16 PM, November 01, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Michael: Your pyramid scheme sounds like a scam. That's a little annoying, to advertise your harebrained scam to try and lure people. I guess playing the lotto is like giving away your money anyway, but--and I hate to say this so harshly--you're still a creep. Take care.

     
  • At 1:37 PM, November 02, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    For everyone else's benefit: this is a pyramid scheme. My favorite part about the website is where they claim that numbers that have already come up in the lottery are less likely to come up again in the future (!!!).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home