I am full of deceit

You probably won't find what you're looking for

09 October 2005

Burn the Land and Boil the Sea

I was fortunate enough to see Serenity on Friday. To put it mildly, it was fantastic. And if you have doubts, let me say this: If you enjoy Han Solo, you will enjoy Captain Malcolm Reynolds. If you enjoy an against all odds fight against a corrupt empire, you will enjoy this movie. If you like westerns, you will enjoy this movie. And if you like science fiction, this might be the best science fiction movie of the decade. And I say that with full knowledge of the successes and failures of the Star Wars prequels. In summation, check it out for yourself.

After a generous grant from the Dad Foundation, I have found myself to be in the possession of a new computer, which might be more accurately called "two new computers." If you want a better explanation, I won't provide it. Suffice to say the phrase "maximum efficiency" may have been used in conjuring this delight.

And I'm looking for a new bookbag. My current one is full of holes which are covered by duct tape which then gets sticky on all the stuff in the bag. A cycle of violence, really. I've been looking at Tom Bihn, who make sweatshop free bags which are apparently of superior quality. However, I have never been comfortable with the shoulder bag or the bag that goes across your chest. They tend to put weight where I don't want it. Then again, maybe they wouldn't if I didn't try to put so much stuff in my bookbag. A conundrum, I assure you.

Next post will be faster, and I would like to mention the addition of my friend Steve to the "Cool people I know" section. Steve is in the Peace Corps in Turkmenistan, which is a part of the CIS (Confederacy of Independent States), the former Soviet Union. He wasn't linked before because I didn't know he had such easy access to computers. After all, he uses a bucket of water to take a shower. But please give him a warm welcome, because he's doing things that put us all to shame.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:43 PM, October 09, 2005, Blogger Patrick said…

    Ah, computers and bucket showers! A joyous union of technology and comforts!

     
  • At 10:06 AM, October 10, 2005, Blogger Seth said…

    I saw Serenity Friday as well. I was very pleased. It's everything you say it is.

     
  • At 2:20 PM, October 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey hey hey hey hey hey hey. I was looking at Tom Bihn for new bags too. Oh wait, I just remembered that I sent you that link. But still, you should know that I went to their store here in Seattle. I didn't like the style of their bags a whole lot (a little bulky), but they do seem pretty sturdy. Bihn does have back-pack style bags, though, which you like. Let me know if you want me to check out a particular model for you.

    I do prefer the shoulder-strap style bags. I am probably going to buy a bag by Waterfield Designs (sfbags.com) soon. They are made well, by good people, and seem very useful and stylish.

    The Dad Foundation. That's nice.

     
  • At 7:48 AM, October 13, 2005, Blogger Monsterbeard said…

    Bob- I don't remember you sending me to Tom Bihn. I found it after a google search. I was looking at their ID bag and their Hipster Laptop bag. Both seemed like the kind of bag I would want. And, I'm trying to find ways out of the back-pack bag because I don't really like how they look. I just like how they feel.

    Maybe the Dad Foundation will supply video iPods for the starving children of us.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home