I am full of deceit

You probably won't find what you're looking for

06 February 2006

Motorways and Tramlines

After returning to Chicago, I realized that leaving home for the second time was much harder than the first time, in part because my parents were there to see me off. But also because now I have no idea when I'll be back again. Before I had my birthday homecoming to look forward to, but now nothing in the near future will bring me back again. And it probably shouldn't. It's harder to get used to this place if I retreat back home as often as possible (Freshman year of college, anyone?). And still no job. Starbucks, am I on my way to you?

Cat has a really nice commercial to watch posted at her blog. I don't know what the commercial was for because I didn't get to see the end, but it was really nice in the 3/4th that I saw. And I was going to post a Lexus commercial that I really like, but I couldn't find it. It has a car and an SUV smash into each other and all the pieces of both cars fly out and they're all shiny and nice looking and then they collapse back together to create some SUV hybrid or something. It's really cool to see just because it looks so good, not because I love driving luxury cars.

In reading Bury My Heart (still working through it, less than 100 pages to go), I came across the trial of
Standing Bear v. George Crook, which resulted in the first decision that an Indian was a person, and, therefore, a citizen born into the priviledges guaranteed by the Constitution, namely habeas corpus, the right of my lawyer friends to explain such matters. Or google. Anyway, it meant that Standing Bear, the Indian in question, earned citizenship under the law, and the opinion of Judge Elmer S. Dundy is supposed to be a great read. And for the curious: General George Crook was not a bad man. In fact, he organized the entire affair for Standing Bear's benefit, and was the first to congratulate him on the outcome.

Once, Bob posted a meme to take the book nearest you, turn to page 123 and post the fifth sentence here. But I will post the only sentence on page 123 of the book nearest me.
"And so was born 'The Fantastic Four!!' and from that moment on, the world would never be the same again!!"

1 Comments:

  • At 12:02 PM, February 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sad post. It is hard. Look at it as an opportunity and take joy in discovering the new place you life, meeting new people. Maybe some good people.

    That Lexus commercial is OK.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home