I am full of deceit

You probably won't find what you're looking for

28 July 2005

Standing by the Sea

I spent last week on the Outer Banks with my extended family and Talya. I had a good time. As much as I might disagree with some of their decisions or the way they raise their children or whatnot, it's always really nice to feel the love and joy that comes from being together. My family is really good at being together and making it happy, instead of stressful. At least from my point of view. Some might disagree.

So it was a nice week. And there is something amazing about looking out the window and seeing what seems to be an endless expanse of water. I don't know what I love about the sea. I know it's not seaweed, or jellyfish. I know it's not sea lice (which, we have just discovered, are actually baby jellyfish fresh from the womb, or egg, whatever). I think it might be the space. I am facinated by "wide open spaces," which, unfortunately, is also the name of a Dixie Chicks song. But any open space just calls to me. Rolling hills of farmland, an empty field, even an undisturbed lake, they just feel so... right.

But being in the middle of it might feel even better. Out on the ocean, a hundred miles from shore. I'm not sure if that would be wonderful or scary, being so alone. But it's like you finally have space to scream or sing or flail around. So exciting. Last year I read A Severe Mercy, which tells the story of a couple and their journey together, and one dream of theirs is to sail around the east coast in a sailboat, which sounds great. And then I also played Zelda: The Wind Waker, which involves sailing around an enormous sea to various islands. Both of those led me to an even stronger desire to explore the sea. So, I like going to the Outer Banks, because I get to taste the air and feel the sand and it makes me remember those open spaces.

Last year, this happened:

Which is supposed to be me holding the sun, which is supposed to look as amazing as this but isn't. Which is ok, because it means I finally uploaded my first picture. Fun.

I finished the latest Harry Potter today. Let me know if you want to talk about it. But not in a public forum, for obvious reasons.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:04 PM, July 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Send me the new Harry Potter, or should I buy it? How many copies does our family have? Let me know soon! Call me!

     
  • At 3:11 PM, July 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    are you alive? and who is this jackal? I don't believe he's alive either.

     
  • At 6:34 PM, July 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Today... Today I chickened out on a funny, funny joke that would not be funny to retell. The bookstore was too busy. But I'm hoping to go to the library later, so I'm thinking of telling ("playing out" would be more accurate) it there. This is all true. By the way it is completely uninteresting except that I felt bad about chickening out. It would only be funny to me, you, or possibly to an unbusy bookstore employee.

     
  • At 9:51 PM, August 01, 2005, Blogger Patrick said…

    I will roadtrip with you somrtime. We should go out west and do nothing but drive and trespass. Or just stay in National Forests and not trespass.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home