I am full of deceit

You probably won't find what you're looking for

28 June 2005

The Rise of the Dark Arts: A History, by Hermione Granger

I was thinking the other day about blogs and about how far you could go from blog to blog just through the links on the page. Kind of like 6 degrees of separation. Well, exactly like that. I think you could get pretty far, and meet some pretty interesting people. Someone should document that.

This weekend I saw tires that were big enough to drive my car through. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the vehicles that utilized these tires. I doubt they are certified for our nation's highways and byways.

And I'm rereading Harry Potter right now, in preparation for the release of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, arriving in bookstores everywhere July 16. I was thinking the other day of when people read Harry Potter 30 years from now, how it will be. Some guy just wrote a book called "The Looking Glass Wars," which is about how Wonderland got to be the way it was when Alice arrived. It sounded really good when I read about it a few months ago. And I was thinking how cool it would be if, 30 years from now, someone wrote a book about the rise of Voldemort. I kinda wish I knew more about it right now. Like, why did Voldemort care about killing the Potters? Or Harry in particular? There were plenty of more important wizards he should have been trying to kill. I think it's because Harry was prophesized to overthrow Voldemort before he was born, so He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named had to get rid of him. What I'm saying is, I hope these questions are answered in the next two books, or I'll be a little disappointed. Not very disappointed, but enough to mention it.

How did we get back to this?

7 Comments:

  • At 7:17 PM, June 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Someone who goes to law school should tell us when copyrights expire under current law. I think it's the lifetime of the author plus ninety years. Of course, the estate could allow interesting books to be written. Personally, I'm torn between wanting more and wanting to be left wanting more. I think Wesley Crusher said it best (that's my new catch phrase). He said... (googling)... "Captain, we're receiving two hundred and eighty-five thousand hails." (That quote doesn't actually apply to this situation.)

    I wouldn't want it to be like the Silmarillian (sp?) or the Star Wars prequels (or the SW novels). Or the Dune prequels (which I haven't read, but this is a general principle, not a book review. The US Sec. of Ed. should be called the Principal-General).

    I kind of like that there are a couple (at least one I can think of) stories that C.S. Lewis alludes to in Narnia that were never written.

    But I think you're talking about things that are closer to plot holes and which are pretty relevant to the main story. I think that sounds cool. I liked seeing Batman Begins.

    Have you seen pictures of those vehicles that use big tires? Mining vehicles do sometimes.

     
  • At 7:48 PM, June 30, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I tried to figure out exactly when copyrights expire but it depends on a lot of things, such as whether the book was published before 1978 and how it was published. Then I got too bored to look into it further. Generally, if it was published before 1923 then it is likely to be in the public domain.

     
  • At 11:35 AM, July 01, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    See, it just as [Acting Ensign] Wesley Crusher said: "I'm with Starfleet. We don't lie."

     
  • At 9:14 PM, July 02, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Actually, it's more like Geordi said to Wesley.

    "Compared to you, every male on this ship is an expert on women!"

     
  • At 9:32 PM, July 02, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    first off, it was wonderful to see you, Chris. i'm looking forward to seeing at the HP release festivity.
    second, nice TNG references, Bob.
    finally, has anyone read or heard of Shadow of the Wind? i can't remember the author offhand, but it's a great book.
    finally again, sorry for the irrelevant comment.

     
  • At 4:04 PM, July 06, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I posted this on Jessica's guestbook, but I thought you would want or not want to see it too, Chris.

    I don't know if this is something you want to know. It involves a death in the next Harry Potter book.

    I'm replacing the name with "X" in this quote. Follow the link to see who it is.

    The British bookmaker Ladbroke's has stopped taking bets on which character will die in the forthcoming "Harry Potter" book after a startlingly large number of bettors -- particularly bettors hailing from the area where the book's U.K. printers are located -- started putting money on X.

    http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/325605p-278193c.html

     
  • At 11:23 AM, July 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    http://www.freekatie.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home