I am full of deceit

You probably won't find what you're looking for

06 June 2005

Watch and See the Ways I am a Bastard

Seeing as how Cat recently posted on the terrors of a meal with a boss, I would like to offer a comforting and humiliating story, which is more of a remark than a story.

While on my internship at the TV station, there was a night when my Aunt (the big boss of the whole place) took me to an event many of her higher-ups and friends were attending. She was kind enough, even, to buy me a drink. A Killian's Irish Red. I'd say 22 oz. Well, we are all sitting around the table and I have just gotten my beer, so I decide to take a sip. Unfortunately, for some reason I still don't understand, I inhaled instead of drank, which resulted in my choking on that Killian's Irish Red, which resulted in a sputtering and spattering that got Killian's and spit all over my aunt and most of the table. Wow.

But, everything was ok. She was more worried than embarrassed, I think. And everyone soon forgot about it. I hope. And I still like Killian's. And I haven't choked like that since, I don't think. Maybe I just learned to keep my mouth closed.

Can I tell you two things about work? The second is back to tipping, which I'm really sorry to revisit, but I think it reflects poorly on me, so it's ok.

However, the first is about my fellow associates. Why don't they do anything? No no, why don't they do anything for other people. The majority of us, including me at times, only care about getting through the shift. The less we have to do, the better. Which sucks, because then when someone has to do something that sucks, and no one helps them, they get mad. And they hate those other people. And we aren't a team at all. But I wish we were. I wish we just respected each other enough to help each other out and try and make someone else's shift just a little bit better. And seriously, why the fuck didn't you empty the mop bucket before you left for the night?

See, there it was.

Tips. Remember when I said that you should always tip and stuff? Well, I definitely still believe that. But, I feel differently about tips from blue collar and white collar professionals. This might sound... insulting to both camps, but I'm not saying it's good. I'm just saying I do it. When a blue collared worker gives me a small tip, I don't mind, because I know that they work hard for their money and they don't have as much to throw around. And when they give me an average tip, I'm grateful because they are still kind enough to give me a little more than I deserve. But when a white collared worker gives me a crappy tip, it drives me crazy, because they're wearing a nice suit, and they have their own office, and why can't they be a little nicer. And when they give me an average tip, I hardly notice.

Does this make me prejudice? I think so. However, I'm not saying that I hate white collar workers, or that I feel bad for blue collar workers. Neither is true. But sometimes I have more patience with someone who has less, and less patience with someone who has more. I'm sorry if this offends you. If I should think a different way, please try to persuade me.

7 Comments:

  • At 10:30 PM, June 08, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Chris,
    First of all, I totally understand the whole "look out for #1" mentality at work. It does suck when people are more concerned about making themselves look good or getting through work than doing a good job and working together. I too am guilty sometimes, but I have found people are more productive and enjoy their work more when they joke around occasionally and work cohesively.

    Secondly, I would like to address the white collar tipper. I will mention here that I am "The Man". Not "Hey you just made the winning shot...You The Man"...but "The Man" keeping people down. I am a single, straight, white, Christian, male who brings home a decent paycheck. I don't understand how just because I am all of these, I am somehow less deserving of respect. You mentioned that the blue collar worker can leave a smaller tip for their bill b/c they worked hard for their paycheck...how do you know? Plus, does the white collar worker not work just as hard? I get paid a salary, not an hourly rate, so when I have to work until 8pm on a Friday night, I don't get a penny more than when I worked a regular day. Sure, I have been blessed with some great abilities and opportunities, but I have worked hard to make the best of my situation as well.
    Basically, to answer your question, I think it is a lot to assume how much someone is able to tip based on their appearance and job details. I think anyone who gives a good tip should be appreciated and someone who is greedy with their tipping is not being as generous as they could be(which is hard to tell if you don't know their personal situation) .
    Maybe I am complaing too much, but I am curious to hear what you think.
    -B

     
  • At 2:21 PM, June 09, 2005, Blogger Seth said…

    Brian, I'm going to have to side with Chris on this one. I'm sure you work very hard and make sacrifices to be where you are but, as you said, the opportunity you were given was a blessing, not some kind of inalienable right. Good jobs are hard to come by these days and plenty of capable people would like to be in your shoes. Instead, they're stuck in less glamorous, lower paying jobs. Who works harder? It's irrelevent. Because you've been given greater priviledge, more is expected of you.

     
  • At 8:13 PM, June 09, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Seth, I think you misunderstood Brian. I think he was trying to say that no one regardless of their job, white or blue collared (because you can't see that in a person just by serving them), that it should make a difference about tipping.

    Lyndsey

     
  • At 11:09 AM, June 11, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ok, this kinda relates to the topic, but mostly it is just funny:
    http://www.despair.com/potential.html
    -B

     
  • At 11:34 AM, June 12, 2005, Blogger Class of 2000 officers said…

    i say if you go to work in a suit and tie and drive an SUV (you know who you are!) then you have to tip at least 25%.

    if you go to work in an apron/hat/t-shirt or any other apparrel sporting the company logo (fridays don't count)then you are exempt from tipping because you are awesome. but you probably will anyway, and with much more vigor, because, again, you are awesome.

    and chris - about the mop bucket. i'm sorry, but i was too busy setting up the a.m. pastries you forgot to put out!! you're lucky i didn't empty it into your brain!

     
  • At 5:33 PM, June 13, 2005, Blogger Monsterbeard said…

    Brian- I think you are right. My remarks were made mostly out of frustration, not any sincere look at class distinctions in our society. I guess what I wanted to say is that I think blue collar workers probably earn less than white collar. Which is still an ignorant assumption. But I would never devalue someone's work unless I actually knew that they didn't work. I am wrong to assume. I am sorry.


    And Lyndsey, the pastries would have been out if you hadn't left the box on the floor, which resulted in several mouse presents. I hope you enjoyed your coffee.

     
  • At 1:26 AM, July 30, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Interesting discussion. No one mentioned whether the person doing the work deserved the tip!

    What makes you think that the 'white collar' person has any more money than the 'blue collar'? The blue guy might live alone and spend his/her money on beer and pizza. The white collar guy could have 4 kids in college and a mother in a nursing home.

    How hard is it to deliver pizza? What makes it worth a 20% tip?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home