I am full of deceit

You probably won't find what you're looking for

08 March 2006

Flat Iron Babies

I wasn't going to do this because I have laundry to fold, but now I'm here and I can't stop myself. Slef. I read an interesting article the other day about the concentration of wealth in the US. From the article:
"The richest 1 percent of Americans now get about 15 percent of total US income, close to the 18 percent the same small group had in 1913. In a way, the days of the robber barons, the tycoons, and the Gilded Age are back - after the Great Depression, World Wars I and II, and progressive taxation had trimmed their share to 8 percent in 1963."
If that sounds bad, it got up to 20% in 1928, so I guess we're still ok. Anyway, if you want to check it out, you can.

Talya and I had a conversation a while ago about Modernism and Postmodernism, and what they both were. She briefly explained it to me and then I quickly forgot. Trying to figure the two out is a lot like trying to drink water from the opposite side of the glass (hiccuppers, you know what I'm talking about). Generally, Modernism seems to be a rejection of something and an embrace of something else. On the other hand, Postmodernism tends to embrace something while rejecting something else. Either way you slice it, I don't get it.

But Wikipedia is always there to give you more information that you could have ever wanted. And that's a good thing, because it only reaffirmed my love of Art Deco, and specifically Art Deco architecture. It might stem from watching Batman: The Animated Series, or from... well, that's the only place I remember it in my past. Sleek, industrial, beautiful. Examples would be the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building, the Flat Iron building, and for those of you in Athens, the outside of the Athena. I know what I'm naming my baby.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home