I am full of deceit

You probably won't find what you're looking for

29 May 2007

On Memorial Day of All Days

Hey, Cindy "The Shiz-nit" Sheehan is giving up the fight, by which I mean her fight. Because I can't really say that she's giving up a fight that I have never really taken part in, at least not nearly on her level, which I really admire. The article is really sad because she's someone whose motivation and frustration are all real and have nothing to do with herself. But she found herself against walls of people too busy using her for themselves, which left her disillusioned.

And, yes, something might actually be happening in Darfur. Sanctions are going into effect even as you read this. It feels like you have been pushing against an enormous rock called "Endless Bad Shit" and then a giant comes along and effortlessly flicks the rock a few hundred feet. And you look at the rock and you look at the giant (who, by the way, is curling back up to go back to sleep) and you think "Can't you just move it the rest of the way too?"

To explain this analogy, my train of thought is "Gee, while you're busy debating the consideration of the decision to gather troops for the possible eventual peacekeeping in an alternate reality Sudan, do you think you can also get a gun and just shoot those assholes in the face?" Which, to be honest, is exactly my line of thought. I lost that feeling of "Can't we teach these people to get along" when a bunch of guys in a jeep started playing the "drive around and rape all the women" game. After that I decided I'd prefer we just shoot them in the face. But when I say them, I really mean everyone who can be called "the Sudanese Government." And then we'll peacekeep there for a little while because we're so great at nation building.

You can fill in a bunch of angry rambling here. There's no need. It would end something like: But I really did have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 11:10 AM, May 29, 2007, Blogger Seth said…

    I feel kinda bad for Sheehan. On the surface, she does seem kinda nutty, but her disillusionment mirrors my own, so I empathized with her cause. I hate to think that the apathy she was fighting won out in the end. I agree with her sentiment on the Dems failure to do anything about the war. They always seem too worried about saving face to stand up to the GOP. That's why I'm so encouraged about Obama. He really seems to be interested in the common good and not just "playing politics."

    I hope the sanctions against the Sudanese are enough. I fear that a military presence will be necessary before the genocide ends. And I really hope if it comes to that, the U.N. puts someone besides us in charge.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home