I am full of deceit

You probably won't find what you're looking for

20 March 2006

Monsterbeard Comic Con

After a wonderful trip home which featured a birthday, an anniversary, and green beer, I returned to Chicago armed with a refreshing sense of "this will work out." And I have to say it is working out for some people already. Congrats to both Katie and Jess for the great jobs they have secured. It's nice when things fall perfectly into place.

Upon returning I discovered a package for me that contained, specifically, a graphic novel called Daisy Kutter: The Last Train, by Kazu Kibuishi, a really talented artist whose work I really like. Daisy Kutter takes place in a scifi old west where robots are as commonplace as horses. The main character is a retired (for the time being) legend who is drawn into one last job (that very train). It has a great atmosphere and I highly recommend checking it out at your local comic shop. I'm really getting into a lot of different webcomics that I'm really impressed with. I'll post a bunch of ones I like soon. But one I'll link to right now. I saw this in the Chicago Reader today and I thought it was hilarious, but I wouldn't recommend the comic (Perry Bible Fellowship) because it might be mostly bad.

While I was at Kazu's site, I discovered two things. First of all, Marvel and DC Comics have made an attempt to trademark the word "Superhero." From my perspective it's a completely ridiculous notion and I sincerely doubt it can stand up to the law, mainly because it's just a word, just like any other word, which cannot be trademarked, but also because even if Marvel and DC (together, coming up with the word 70 years ago) did create it, it's become a part of culture, like band-aid or robotic. I can't back all this up, but I've studied some entertainment law in my day (hem hem), so I'm right and Marvel and DC are dumb. Remember when Fox News tried to sue Al Franken? Same diff.

Anyway, the other (and much cooler) thing I saw at BoltCity.com was a link to a site called Flipbook, an amazing Flash site that lets you create your own flipbook animations. They're fun to watch, but more fun to play around with. Check it out. If I actually make one that I like, I'll post a link to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home