I am full of deceit

You probably won't find what you're looking for

29 March 2006

Should I Stay or Should I Go Now?

I like this article from CBS on Games and Storytelling. Any article about games becoming art is usually interesting because games are at the same time very similar to other story forms and also very unique.

I'm currently conflicted between moving back to Ohio at the end of April (when my lease here is up) or staying in Chicago. It's not like I've really found anything or one that I enjoy here. If anything I'm getting used to how it has been so far. I have no job responses but my current roommate might be able to hook me up to a teahouse. A teahouse? Yes. If I stay where I am living, rent goes up. If I find a new place, I have to move. If I go home, I move but don't spend money. And currently my roommate is interviewing people to move in here.

So, going home to Ohio Pros: Free, no monetary commitments, nicer living conditions, closer to friends, family, girlfriend.
Cons: Back where I started, living with people I already get frustrated with, still no job (but easy to get one).

Staying in Chicago Pros: Still on my own, in a city of "opportunity," summer is coming
Cons: Spending money without a job, slim job prospects, still far away from friends, family, girlfriend.

I'm undecided. The stubborn side of me (I have a stubborn side?) wants to stay here to be "independent" (at least geographically) and all that crap. To "make it." The other side of me says "Lessons learned, matured, it's time to go home and get redirected to the right place, which isn't here."

If I think with my mind, I should probably stay here. If I think with my heart, I should go home and enjoy it.
But joy isn't the reason for living. Ok, ok, now I'm rambling. Most of you have moved to strange places without security. Would you do it all over again? In fact, should I just move to where you are and live off of you? Just kidding, I don't think anyone reading this makes enough to support another person. At least not yet. Anyone want to go in on 1000 MegaMillions tickets?

I'm just asking.
And if you have any advice or opinions that you'd rather not share publically (the secrets of becoming rich, for example) you can always email me at monsterbear [at] gmail [dot] com. Wink, wink.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:19 AM, March 31, 2006, Blogger Seth said…

    I say give it some more time. Moving home would be a step backward. Things haven't always been rosy for me in L.A., but I'm glad I stuck it out.

     
  • At 8:35 PM, March 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Monsterbear,
    I moved to Seattle pretty much like that--except I had renea with me. The first year here was terribly difficult, which I hear is pretty much standard for moving to a new place. But I would definitely for sure 100% absolutely do it again.

    Moving home isn't a step backward unless it's not what you really want to do. If it is, then go for it. But if it's not, then don't be afraid to do whatever you do want. Or (let's be realistic) at least the closest you can get to what you want to be doing. (none of us are doing exactly what we want yet, right.) Now is the time to try stuff that sounds exciting/terrifying to you and see what happens. I'm pretty convinced that's the whole purpose of your "twenties".

    I'm sorry this doesn't help you actually get a job in Chicago. And I'm sure you've heard all this before. But for what it's worth, I'd be both surprised and suspicious if I heard you were happy with Chicago after 2 months there. If you still think you might want to be there, don't feel bad about giving it more time, even if you're working in teahouse, or whatever. You'll still meet people and learn things, you know? There's no shame in that.

    On the other hand, if you want to move home, there's no shame there either. Just make sure it's what you want for yourself.

    I hope I didn't say too much. Sometimes I forget I've only met you three times or so.

     
  • At 11:07 PM, April 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Chris. Can I have a quick word with you out in the hallway? Here is my terse, short answer: stay in Chicago. Is it hard? Yes. Is it a little discomforting? Probably. But seriously, nothing that is worth doing is comfortable all the time, especially when it comes to the first six or nine months.

    I mean, my case is totally different than yours in numerous ways, but my personal advice is when you go for the gold, keep running. Just because Florence Griffith-Joyner showed up with her Lee press-on nails and is trying to carve out your calves with them is right behind you, that doesn't mean that it's time to head to the sidelines. Keep giving it a shot and see what pops up--you'll probably never have the opportunity again to just head off to Chicago and put down roots for a while. I believe in you!--and in love too, while we're at it.

    And so said Steve.

     
  • At 12:11 AM, April 02, 2006, Blogger Monsterbeard said…

    Oh yeah, like I'm supposed to believe that you, Steve, have ever been taken out of your comfort zone and put into a completely different geographical and cultural place. Come on.

    PS. thanks everyone. It turns out that's the decision I made.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home