I am full of deceit

You probably won't find what you're looking for

22 June 2007

Shake Those Spears

Have you heard of Helio? The phone company that's not a phone company? They sell phones that do things like surf, take pictures, integrated MySpace and Google Maps. Anyway, they're sort of like an alternate I've been thinking about. Helio has a cool phone called "Ocean" that has a full keyboard as well as a separate numeric pad. Why is numeric spelled like that? Why isn't there a b?

Anyway, I'd really like a new phone. I already mentioned this, but you know.

I saw She's the Man, the adaptation of Twelfth Night starring Amanda Bines. What I was hoping for was something akin to 10 Things I Hate About You, perhaps the best film translation of a Shakespeare play next to Ian Mckellen's Richard III (set in an alternate fascist Britain, yes you should see it). And when I say something so inflammatory, I only mean that the film was a great way to appreciate Shakespeare while also enjoying pop-ska and Seattle. You should also watch Ran ("Chaos" in Japanese), by Akira Kurosawa. Based on King Lear and set in feudal Japan. Samurai.
Anyway, She's the Man was iffy. Amanda Bines is very funny for a 12 year old, but she's not. The film lacks a comedic subtlety and maturity that would make it a lot funnier. Whatever, if tweens read Shakespeare, it's all good. Did anyone ever see O? Julia "again" Stiles and Mekhi "There's no movie" Phifer.

Oh, I forgot about The Lion King. That is definitely up there. It is a candy-coated Hamlet. There's no Uncle-Mom stuff and Nala doesn't commit suicide, but it's an amazing adaptation. Rewatch it. For realz.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • At 9:04 AM, June 23, 2007, Blogger crankin said…

    i am with you on all counts... but there is the soccer. i found this to be a saving grace. i do however enjoy the soccer, so i understand if the rest of the world disagrees with me here. you liked "O" because i thought it was aweful?

     
  • At 2:46 PM, June 23, 2007, Blogger Seth said…

    10 Things I Hate About You is a great movie. I can watch it again and again. My friend's roommate has a good story about Larisa Oleynik showing up at his poker game, but he tells it better than me.

     
  • At 4:45 PM, June 24, 2007, Blogger Monsterbeard said…

    Yeah, I did like the soccer stuff. And I didn't see "O" but I was wondering if people had and whether it was good or not. So I have my answer. the Laurence Fishburn one was good though.

    I love Larisa Oleynik, Seth! I can only imagine that it's a great story.

     
  • At 9:15 PM, June 24, 2007, Blogger Class of 2000 officers said…

    If you don't mind, the only thing i'll take from this post is 'Julia "again" Stiles.'

    the rest was sort of fuzzy for me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home